Thursday, October 2, 2008

An "average" day

I thought it would help give people perspective on things if I outlined a typical day for me here in India. I've only been here for a week and a bit, but I'm already settling into some weekday routines.
I wake up around 7 or 8 depending on if I have a meeting first thing. I shower up, occasionally chat with a friend before they go to bed, and head downstairs to the restaurant for breakfast. The breakfast buffet is included in the room price and consists of a range of western and indian breakfast foods. I switch up what I have, but usally stick to the western options (omlettes, croissants, toast, muffins, fruit, etc) since first thing in the morning the idea of spicy food still hasn't caught on with me.
I then spend 20 minutes arguing with the rickshaw drivers on how much it will cost me to get to work. Apparantly they're all in cahoots with each other - one will offer 90 Rs. (rupees) - I'll refuse him, the next will drop to 80, and I'll eventually find one who will take me for 50. It should cost 25 Rs. to get me there. And although I feel like an ass for fighting over the equivalent of 50 cents, it's the principle of the thing. At any rate, 50 Rs. is about $1.25, so I'm still way ahead of the TTC, and it's door to door service (with the added thrill of near death experiences along the way).
I get to work and do work like stuff until around one when I break for lunch. The company I'm working at serves lunch to their employees daily. It is a simple lunch, rice, pappadums, a salad, a veggie dish and a bean dish (it's a strictly veg. lunch). Everyone worries that it's going to be too spicy for me, but it's totally fine.
I then work until around 5 or 6, return to the hotel and either make dinner or order room service. I then have to do a little bit of work, to accomodate the time difference, and then I relax. By then it is dark out, so I don't really want to venture outside. Instead I go to the gym, read or check out the bollywood films on the tv. I found out today that the pool is closed until the 7th... after it opens up, I'll be adding that into my regular ritual :)
As for a typical weekend, well I've only been here for one. The weekend coming up I'm supposed to go to Mumbai to be shown the city by some locals. Looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Rahul said...

You're an excellent story-teller. Please keep this up as long as you can. /rd