Today was a holiday; Ghandi's birthday. Obviously a very celebrated occasion.
I hinted around at the office, trying to get an invite to someone's house for the celebrations, but no one was biting.
I ended up venturing out on foot to get a better grasp of my neighbourhood, and try and find that cow with the leg growing out its back. Sadly, it was nowhere to be seen, and the Baskin-Robbins was closed. I did, however, find 3 grocery stores all within walking distance of my apartment.
Speaking of which, I have been meaning to post about the grocery stores. I am astonished at how much easier it is to shop in Indian grocery stores than it is to shop in Finnish grocery stores. It comes down to language though - there's english on all the packaging here, but also more western brands. I must get a picture of the rice and pulses section of the stores though - I've never seen so many different types of rice!
Of those there grocery stores I found, none of them sell meat. Vegetarianism is VERY popular here (in this area at least, although I know it's popular in many areas of India), and usually if a store owner is a vegetarian, the store is then veg. Hotels and restaurants always advertise whether they're veg. or non-veg. Fortunately my hotel is non-veg... although beef and pork dishes are few and far between.
After my disappointment at not being able to visit the Baskin-Robbins, I walked towards my apartment, but stopped at the Pizza Hut on the way. The pizza I got was a tandoori chicken pizza. It was really good... I'd go back, assuming the stomach pains I have developed don't turn into anything too drastic.
Some of you will wonder what the heck I'm doing frequenting American brands while I'm here. The Baskin-Robbins thing is for work, so I can't go into it. But the Pizza Hut thing was just because I was hungry and walking by. And I like pizza. Now I know I like pizza with Indian toppings :)
By the time I returned to the apartment three and a half hours had passed, my legs were sore, and it was time for me to do some work.
All in all a good day I'd say!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment