Sunday, October 19, 2008

Chocolate Bar One - 5Star


This is the first of a series of 5 posts reviewing chocolate bars I have acquired from a grocery store close to my apartment.

Today's selection is the "5 Star" a Cadbury product. The package suggests I will lose myself "in the yummy, chocolately layers of 5 Star" and features a picture of a brown log oozing caramel. I'd take a picture, but my camera kind of sucks for close up shots (well, probably the operator of said camera is just unskilled in its use, but whatever). The logo consists of '5Star' written in white letters with red, silver and more white radiating outwards, and above that there are stars. You guessed it, five of 'em.

Chocolate bars are small here. This one totals a mere 32 grams and contains 140 calories and only 5.13 grams of fat. Very small compared with the monstrosities you find in North America.

Okay, now for the unveiling.

Sight: Well, it looks like a chocolate bar, only small... 10x2x1 centimetres. It's brown - medium brownish, and um yeah, chocolate bar like.

Smell: Smells sweet and chocolaty. No shockers there.

Sound: I heard it faintly whisper 'eat me, eat me!'.

Feel: It feels like lumps covered with smooth.

Bite by Bite Impressions

First bite - sweet, poor quality chocolate, something mushy, a lack of caramel.

Second bite - still no caramel. More inner mush.

Third bite - I've realized there is this extremely thin layer of caramel above the chocolate mush. There is no way it would flow out of the bar as depicted on the packaging.

Overall impressions

Well, it's not very good tasting - kind of has a weird chemical coconut taste to it. It seems to be a pile of poorly flavoured chocolate mush, with a little bit of caramel on top, surrounded by poor quality chocolate. It is clear that the person who created the packaging for the 5Star never actually consumed one as there are no 'chocolatey layers' beyond the chocolate surrounding the bar, and the caramel is clearly an afterthought and not all flowy and wonderful as the packaging suggests. With no nuts, krispie things, or nougat, the brown log is just mushy all the way through and provides no variety in mouthfeel. The best part about it is its size... Thank goodness I'm not commited to eating a whole 80 grams of mushy brown log.

Conclusions

As you may have gathered, it is mushy, brown and log shaped. I certainly won't be buying it again, even for it's low low price of only 10 Rs. (the equivalant of less than a Canadian quarter).

No comments: