Friday, September 26, 2008

Groceries!

After I finished working for the day, I set out in search of groceries. The auto rickshaw driver (in fact the very same one who drove me in the morning) took me to "Ozone Pulse" the grocery store a mere 3 minute ride away (I could have walked, but it cost me $1 to take a 3-wheeler there and back). The grocery store was smallish, but I managed to buy a few things to subsist off of for a while. Peanut butter was HUGELY expensive (but in my mind a necessity given its dual nature of being good for breakfast and lunch) at 220 RS (220 rupees = approximately $5). Aside from the box of tea and the can of spaghetti sauce, the rest of my groceries were super cheap. I got Tim Tams, which I've been wanting to try since Meghan raved about them after her Australia trip. I also got some chips - Lays Spanish Tomato Zingers. They were like ketchup chips, but with some heat.

I was better at negotiating with the driver, but ended up fighting a little with him and the bellhop, because I knew I was still being charged too much. No matter, I now have the rate card - essentially there is a meter (that the drivers often tamper with) that tracks the kilometers you travel, you then look on the rate card to determine the correct fare.

Tomorrow I go in search of beer! Although I'm tempted by the beer in the mini-bar (which is reasonable) I am told I can get 6 beer here for around 150-200 Rs (under $5). I also need to find some fresh veggies & fruit - there weren't any at the store. It was also lacking meat, but that's not surprising as there are so many veg places around, and if a shop owner doesn't eat meat, then they won't sell it either.

No comments: