Hi! Welcome to my blog.
I am a little slow getting started on this whole blogging thing - ideally I would have begun last week so I could detail my trip to Buffalo (or like 8 years ago when blogging started).
This isn't going to be a blog all about food... but those of you who have been previous recipents of my 'trip emails' will know that food does come up a lot.
Speaking of which... I had wings in Buffalo - disappointing. Did you know that Buffalo lays claim to not one, but two menu items? Besides wings, they apparantly are 'famous' for 'beef on weck'. I discovered this on my first trip to Buffalo (this took place last month en route to San Francisco). What's beef on weck you ask? Well, it's beef, on a kummelweck bun. What's a kummelweck bun you ask? It's a regular old kaiser bun with chunks of salt and caraway seeds on it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kummelweck). It tastes like licking a salty antelope. Pretty gross. Altough I'd like to think there are better versions than those found at the airport.
Okay, I said this wouldn't be all about food, and I also said I wouldn't be able to discuss my trip to Buffalo / Boston. Guess I lied.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Awesome! Welcome to the blogosphere! /rd
go get 'em kid!
Mardi says: 'prrrrr', and 'what the hell is a punepop?'
Re: "It tasted like licking a salty antelope?" Should it have tasted instead more like licking a sweet antelope? Or one braised in an orange-ginger marinade?
Also, since I don't have my own blog....
I met a guy in a bar once who had this theory that as you move from Buffalo up to Montreal, the wings get worse and the poutine gets better. We were going to apply for funding to do some fieldwork, ie. drive up and down from Montreal to Buffalo a few times eating nothing but poutine and wings as many times a day as we could.
But then we didn't.
But I am interested to learn that I might have only had to go as far out of Buffalo as the airport for the wings to start deterioriating in quality. If the beef on weck is any indication, is any indication.
um... denise, I'm not sure why it should have tasted like a sweet antelope, but sure. whatever you like. the point was that it was disgusting. beef on ick as they say (they being me). I actually also had wings at the buffalo airport, at the same time as the beef on weck. the wings were also a large disappointment. Still though, if you ever need assistance with your reasearch project, count me in. I'm a fan of both wings and poutin, so I feel I can be a valuable test subject!
Post a Comment