Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Arrival in Helsingfors

I'm in Helsinki - land of the blond!

My bags arrived somewhat after me (they chose to have an extended stopover in Paris), and filled with goo. Bottles of shampoo and hair stuff leaked (in two bags). Fortunately the only thing that got covered in the mess was my $500 suit... my $9 Threadless t's were okay.

I saw the movie "In Bruges" yesterday - it's a must see and afterwards sipped some wine and had some salmon soup on the Esplanad at the aptly named Cafe Esplanad.

I found out today that it's the Art Fair Suomi on this weekend at the cable factory (I already have plans to go) as well as the Helsinki International Film Festival aka Love & Anarchy (yup, plans for that too). The film festival runs for a week and seems to have a number of the same films as TIFF.

Today was a big day at the office and then kebab for dinner. Helsinki has a ton of kebab places - they're more visible than burger, pizza or sub places put together - but not bars... nothing outnumbers the bars.

Tomorrow I eat reindeer!

My hotel is in the middle of the action this time - right next to a sex toy store, and mere blocks from the 'gay district' (which consists of 2 bars and zero rainbow flags). It's a definite improvement from the drab holiday inn in the suburbs.

On a side note - I highly recommend The Gum Thief - Douglas Coupland's latest (and one of his best in my opinion).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, glad to see your blog is up and running. keep fit and have fun!

Anonymous said...

Bring on the reindeer.