Saturday, November 1, 2008

Prague highlights

Prague was amazing! I consumed lots of beer, wine, food, art and amazing architecture. The really touristy parts felt a bit like Disney World for adults (cheezy souvenir shops, massive crowds and lineups) but it's worth fighting through the crowds for the good.

Those of you who know me well can probably figure out what I did when I was there - the modern art museum, a few churches, the miniature museum (it didn't take long) and sitting in some cafes and pubs. Exactly my type of holiday!

The friends who's trip I was crashing had rented an apartment for two weeks - so we didn't actually eat out much. In fact, we had dinner in every evening, which I was very happy about. It's been a while since I've had home cooked food. Food highlights from the trip include sausage pasta, bacon & french toast with apples (my lowely contribution to the cooking), a chicken chickpea dish and the ultimate highlight - roast pork. I'm missing pork products in India.

The modern art museum was amazing... both the art & the building itself! The kind of place I'd like to return to. I bought a poster that features yellow crocodiles encircling a pink poodle. I can't wait to get it up on my wall at home.

We went to the oldest medieval tavern in Prague, situated halfway up a hill, and in a very old, weathered building. Going inside, it didn't seem too remarkable, until the bar wench instructed the three of us to head down the very worn stone steps. At the bottom we turned into room about 20 feet by 12 with a curved ceiling, all made out of stone and lit only by candles. There was no natural light, so we found it was easy to lose track of time. The room had 5 long tables and benches with sheepskins to sit on. There was a fireplace for chilly winter evenings and the ceiling was black from hundreds of years of soot. An adjoining room held the bar, a few locals, and around 75 skulls covering the ceiling. I'm pretty sure they were real - people who didn't pay their bar tab perhaps? I had some mead, for the first time. It was amazing, and has inspired me to make my own when I return to Canada.

The trip was a great respite from India. It was nice to not have to worry about accessing safe drinking water, being able to eat raw veggies and being able to wander around a city, stopping occasionally for a glass of wine or a bite to eat. It was also great to see some friendly faces.

Next up? Bangkok - I leave on Monday.

No comments: