Sunday, November 9, 2008

Pineapple Fried Rice

Imagine a pineapple, cut in half & hollowed out, filled with the MOST AMAZING mix of rice, pineapple, BACON, onions and shrimp... heaven. I ate almost two pineapples worth in Bangkok. My new favourite Thai menu item. I will be returning to Bankok, and that restaurant specifically, for more.

Other than the pineapple fried rice there were many other yummy things to eat in Thailand.

One night we went to a floating restaurant (it was really just a big dock) - 6 of us ate & drank (two rounds) and the total was less than $6 per person. Tom yum soup, cashew nut chicken, other awesome foods with names I can't recall.
Even mall food is phenomenal! I hit up the largest mall in Asia (850,000 square feet) and had lunch at a restaurant there - papaya salad with crab, a chicken dish and rice.

On the last night there we were stumbling around downtown Bangkok and ended up in the Muslim area (there are TONS of Muslims in Bangkok). We ate at a Middle Eastern restaurant - hummus, lamb shank, eggplant & lamb, falafal, soup. Outside the restaurant their wares were displayed in a glass fronted fridge - kidneys, liver, hearts, live fish. The food was amazing! A few of us tried to eat these super hot chilis (with the promise of free drinks & food all night), but after 1 bite we all realized it was a stupid idea and begged for yogurt to take away the heat. Unfortunately a friend rubbed his eye with his chili juiced finger - he had to rub yogurt in his eye to take away the pain.

The yogurt took away the results of the chili - good thing too, because I wouldn't have wanted my taste buds comprimised in Thailand!

No comments: